Please contact us if you have any complaints or queries. We should be able to resolve most queries and problems quickly.

If we cannot resolve your complaint informally we have a formal disputes procedure you can follow.

Money & Pensions Service

At any time, if you are having difficulties in sorting out your complaint, you may wish to contact the Money & Pensions Service. The Money & Pensions Service can provide free advice and information to explain your rights and responsibilities.

Pensions Ombudsman

If you are not happy with the response to your complaint and the Money & Pensions Service have not been able to help you, you can get in touch with the Pensions Ombudsman who can investigate your case.